Happy New Year! I always love the promise of a new year, and 2021 is no exception… obviously.
For the past few years, instead of a new year’s resolution, I’ve chosen a Word of the Year. I will never top my word of the year for 2020 (it was…. Home), but I have to say, I think I did a pretty great job for 2021, too.
It started out as a joke. Sean and I were bouncing ideas off of each other, and I was like “lol the word could be Still because we’re still fucking here.”
But then I realized… I’m also working on mindfulness as a way to decrease my anxiety, and stillness is a big piece of that. Plus, I still want to work on our home this year. So Still actually works really well.
This past year has really done a number on my mental health, so I’m excited to spend 2021 working on it.
Now that I’ve got a vision for the year, let’s talk monthly goals! First, a recap of last month’s goals.
Home Goals [1/2]
- Finish the baseboards in the entryway and entryway closet. ✔ Okay, I don’t know if I can technically take credit for this, because Sean did all of the work. But it’s done!
- Finish reorganizing the main room of the basement. ✘ I started it, but we barely got any work done on it. Instead, the past week we’ve shifted our focus to the laundry room.
Personal Goals [0/3]
- Listen up through episode 75 of 99% Invisible. ✘ I didn’t hit 75, but I got to 56, which is still really good!
- Do 3 FitOn yoga classes. ✘ Literally did zero.
- Start the cross-stitch kit I’ve purchased. ✘ Nope.
And Possibly Dinosaurs Goals [0/2]
- Write one blog post per week, plus Sunday Scratches. ✘ No, but I have been writing a bunch this week, which has felt good!
Career Goals [1/3]
- Create the member promotional toolkit for Cookies. ✔ Yes! This one had to get done, and I’m really happy with how it turned out. Bring on the Cookie Program!
- Identify next steps for the Forms and Documents webpage cleanup. ✘ Still no.
- Make a plan for the Volunteer section of our website. ✘ Also still no.
Not a great month, but both the month and the year are behind me, so I’m not going to beat myself up too bad!
- Get the laundry room organized. We’re working on replacing the utility sink right now, then we’ll figure out an organization system for the beer brewing supplies and laundry supplies. It will be really nice to have this done!
- Catch up on / stay up to date on the chore chart. We finally put together a chore chart, which has been really nice, but we’ve been struggling to, yunno, use it. I’d like to complete tasks within 3 days of them being assigned on the chart in January.
- Read 7 books. My new reading goal for the year is 75 books, which is 6.25 per month. I want to get a bit of a head start in January with 7!
- Start the cross-stitch kit. For real this time, please!
- Paint my nails at least 5 times. I really love painting my nails, but I’ve fallen out of the habit. Honestly, I’d love painting my nails every day if I could. In January I want to paint them at least 5 times!
- Get back into my Ring Fit routine. I’ve fallen out of the habit of doing Ring Fit every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning, so I want to restart this month!
- Finalize my Sidecar recipe. I’m really close to getting my third cocktail recipe memorized! I just need to pick up some cognac (my small grocery store doesn’t have any, otherwise I would have already) so I can compare it to the bourbon Sidecars I’ve been making lately.
I’m keeping it simple this month with just home and personal goals! I’ll have my hand full with all of those, so I’m cutting myself a bit of slack.