Happy new year and happy new decade! I always love the beginning of the year. Even if it’s an arbitrary date, there’s something magical about a fresh start.
My Word of the Year for 2020
While I don’t really have an official resolution for 2020, I’ve chosen a new word of the year. My 2019 Word of the Year was Sustainable, and it helped give me a direction throughout the year.
This year, my word of the year is Home. It started out simple: we’ve gotten frustrated with our house as of late, so I wanted to spend the year making it feel more like a home.
But the more I thought about it, the more I thought about everything that “home” encompasses: yes, the house I live in, but also my body, my mind, my town, and the world.
While I wouldn’t necessarily consider these “resolutions,” here are some of the things I’d like to accomplish this year:
- Finish the porch, dammit!
- Redo the sunroom
- Remove / trim trees
- Fix the downstairs fireplace
- Invest in a comfortable and cozy wardrobe
- Read 52 books
- Eat well and cook more
- Find a therapist
- Visit new places in Kalamazoo
- Meet people in town
- Decrease our waste
- Spend money more consciously
(Maybe I just need to loosen my definition of a resolution.)
These are all things I’m hoping to write about more on the blog as well! Right now And Possibly Dinosaurs doesn’t really have a niche, because my previous one burned me out, but who knows… maybe home will be my new niche?
Before we get too wrapped up in the year ahead, let’s look back at what I accomplished in December.
Personal Goals [3/4]
- Finish the souvenir boxes. ✔ Done! I even wrote a tutorial post about it. I’m so happy with them!
- Fix my giraffe mask from Uganda. ✔ Finally! Yesterday I sat down and cranked it out. It ironically only took me 3 minutes (literally).
- See two (full) movies in theatres. ✔ I actually saw 3! I treated myself to Last Christmas, and then Sean and I saw both Dark Waters and Bombshell.
- Try 2 new hair styles, 3 times each. ✔ I didn’t really try the hair styles this many times… but I tried out a few and settled on a go-to hairstyle for nice events, which was the end goal I was shooting for! To be honest, I didn’t expect it to happen so quickly, but I’m so glad I have it in my arsenal now.
And Possibly Dinosaurs Goals [1/1]
- Publish 1 blog post per week, not including Sunday Scratches. ✔ Done! I’ve loved writing more on the blog, so I’d like to keep this going.
Career Goals [1/2]
- Publish Volunteer Essentials on the website. ✘ This one got pushed down the priority list, so it’s about half done, but not yet published.
- Create the Cookie Promo Toolkit. ✔ Done! Which is good, because the Cookie Program begins on Friday…
I think this is the best I’ve ever done with monthly goals! Fingers crossed I can keep the motivation up in the new year.
Because my word of the year is Home, and we have so many projects going on at the house, I’ve decided to split Personal Goals into Home Goals and Personal Goals (which also works well with my Passion Planner setup!)
- Build out a shopping list for 2020. I’ve started this a little bit already, but I want a list of things we’d like to buy (I’m thinking big purchases here, like new furniture) so I can have something to reference when big sales are happening. For example, I realized I have $30 in rewards at West Elm that expire in March, so I need to figure out the West Elm purchases we could realistically make before then so I don’t miss out.
- Organize the bathroom. It’s on my 101 in 1001 to organize the bathroom closet. It’s such an awkward space. We ended up ordering a shelf for a corner of the bathroom (not in the closet) that will make the space a lot more functional. I’d like to get both the shelf and the closet organized so I can cross it off my list!
- Read 4 books. I really want to read 52 books this year, which means I’ve got to get a solid head start! I’d like to read 4 of them this month alone (but more would be better!).
- Do the 200 Squats Challenge every week. Angela introduced me to the app 0-200 Squats Trainer Challenge, which is an 8-week challenge (3x per week) to get you up to 200 squats in a single day. I’ve started it, but I’ve struggled to remember to complete it 3x per week. I’m thinking if I set it for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week it will be easier to remember.
And Possibly Dinosaurs Goals
- Write a product review with affiliate links. I’ve switched up some items on my 101 in 1001 list (more details will come in the next check-in in March), and one of the new items is to write 5 product reviews with affiliate links. I’d like to get one of them done this month!
- Publish Volunteer Essentials on the website. Since I didn’t get this done in December, I’d like to wrap it up in January!
I’m keeping my two “work” goals simple, because 6 things for the start of the year is already a lot! I’m feeling really good about all of these things, and I’m ready to hit the ground running in the new decade.
Leave a Reply