As I was launching the redesign of my blog, I started going through old posts and pages to see what needed updating. That’s when I stumbled upon an old project inspired by Mackenzie Horan of Design Darling, 101 in 1001. The idea is simple: you create a list of 101 things you want to accomplish in the next 1,001 days (which is about 2.75 years).
I started my original 101 in 1001 list in April of 2015, and once I started focusing on blogging, design, and feminism content (leaving my lifestyle posts behind), I stopped paying attention to my 101 in 1001 list and eventually forgot about it.
Lo and behold, I rediscovered it in December, and the current one expired on January 10, 2018! I saw this as the perfect opportunity to start up a new list, learning from my first experience with 101 in 1001. So my new 1,001 days begins today!
So without further ado, here’s my second take at 101 in 1001. Once again, I won’t update this blog post as I complete things, but there’s a page dedicated to it where you can check on my progress! And depending on how everything goes, some of the items might get their own blog post as soon as they’re done.
I’m also going to try to post to Instagram every time I cross one off or make progress, so follow me at @andpossiblydinosaurs for updates!
Starts: January 11, 2018
Ends: October 8, 2020
- Beat my past 101 in 1001 record of 42.
- Reread A Song of Ice and Fire.
- Read 75 books.
- Read and get rid of 25 books that I already own.
- Have a conversation in French.
- Officially change my last name.
- Learn how to drive a stick shift.
- Completely unplug for a weekend.
- Go to sleep by 9:30 p.m. every night for two weeks.
- Wake up by 5 a.m. every morning for two weeks.
- Learn calligraphy.
- Create a go-to makeup routine for nice events / going out.
- Create a go-to hair style for nice events / going out (excluding having my hair down).
- Replenish our emergency fund.
- Repay my parents for wedding overages.
- Pay off our student loans.
- Begin saving for a down payment.
- Set a goal (amount and due date) for our next vacation fund.
- Open a Roth IRA.
Health & Fitness
- Fulfill all of the prerequisites for Aerial Dance classes at the Cincinnati Circus.
- Stick to the Keto diet for at least 3 full months.
- Lose 30 pounds.
- Find a reliable home workout routine that I enjoy.
- Invest in a new fitness tracker.
- Complete Couch to 10k.
- Walk 10,000 steps a day for at least a week.
- Be able to do the splits in at least one direction.
- Do a backbend without a spot.
- Find out my blood type.
- Drink 100oz of water every day for a week.
- Create a skin care routine and stick to it for at least three months.
- Meditate for at least 10 minutes per day for two weeks.
Professional, Blog, & Business
- Update my portfolio website, including my new URL.
- Decorate and settle into my new office at work.
- Get a promotion and / or raise outside of an annual review.
- Schedule blog posts and newsletters at least one week in advance for a month.
- Start and finish five blogging classes that I’ve already paid for.
- Donate at least $250 to the ACLU of Kentucky via my business income.
- Order business cards with my new branding.
- Fix my 50mm lens.
- Post to Instagram Stories every day for at least a month.
- Rebrand the InDesign Adventure Guide.
- Deep-dive into three features of CoSchedule so I’m fully utilizing the service I’m paying for.
- Completely finish the And Possibly Dinosaurs rebrand.
- Try out three new series on the blog.
Home & Organization
- Print engagement photos and hang them up around the house.
- Print wedding photos and hang them up around the house.
- Print honeymoon photos and hang them up around the house.
- Plant a garden in our yard.
- Repaint my vanity.
- Find a stool for my vanity.
- Reorganize the laundry area.
- Get a printer for the home office (or make the one we have actually work).
- Organize the basement.
- Do a 10×10 clothing challenge.
- Reorganize and consolidate my music files.
- Reorganize and consolidate my photo files.
- Clean out my Kindle of all of the free books I’ll never read.
- Create a “home book” with information for our bills, etc.
- Fix or replace my trench coat.
- Fix the button on my pea coat.
- Invest in an essential oil diffuser and find 5 scents / scent combinations I enjoy.
- Go to a Red Wings away game.
- Go to a Griffins away game.
- Go on a road trip.
- Go on a train trip.
- Visit Dan and Lesley in Charlotte.
- Visit Cara in Denver.
- Visit at least 3 zoos.
- Visit Chicago.
- Visit Nashville.
- Visit Red River Gorge.
- Visit Mammoth Caves.
- Try 10 new restaurants or breweries in Cincinnati.
- Try 5 hikes from the 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Cincinnati book.
- Go to a Paint and Pint class at Darkness.
- Go to Cincinnati Pride.
- Go to 5 local festivals.
- Go to a Cincinnati Reds game.
- Go to an FC Cincinnati game.
- Go to a Cincinnati Cyclones game.
- Take Stanley for a walk every day (rain or shine) for a month.
- Teach Stanley a new trick.
- Adopt a second dog.
- Experiment with 10 different cocktail recipes.
- Brew our own beer.
- Try 25 different dark beers.
- Try 10 different amber beers.
- Try 10 different IPAs.
- Take a sushi rolling class.
- Make cold brew coffee at home.
- Learn how to make 3 different types of latte art with our espresso machine.
Just for Fun
- Buy some white Converse.
- Beat LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7.
- Get all of the trophies in LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4.
- Get all of the trophies in LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7.
- Arm-knit a blanket.
- Use up the yarn I have on hand by knitting hats and / or scarves to donate.
- Get a new piercing.
- Take a pottery class.
- Dye my hair a fun color (other than pink).