Sunday Scratches is where I share the little stuff that has happened throughout the week. In hockey, “scratches” are people who are on the roster but do not play in the game. On the blog, “scratches” are the things that have happened to me throughout the week that aren’t necessarily big enough to be an entire post.
Please note, this post may contain affiliate links that I could make a commission off of. Learn more.
Happy Sunday! Here are the scratches for the week.
What. A. Week. Who would have thought that Democrats gaining control of the Senate would have been a blip on the news? With the Georgia runoff, insurrection at the US Capitol, and now talks of impeachment, I’ve been glued to the news this week. Remember when we thought 2021 would be better?
And work was just as full. We announced all of our summer camp offerings on Wednesday, which means I had nonstop work on Monday and Tuesday getting the website ready. Thankfully, we launched everything at 10:30 a.m., before everything went down in D.C. 🙏🏻
I’ve already read two books this year, and I was planning on crushing a third one this week, but it took me so long to start it because, yunno, crippling anxiety and the world feeling like it’s ending. I tried to give myself permission to just listen to my body and my brain instead of feeling guilty about tasks or projects that didn’t get done.
Despite everything terrible that happened this week, some good things happened, too! I’m just going to rapid-fire these:
- My first increased 401K contribution was taken out of my paycheck on Friday, meaning I’m on track to max it out in 2021! 🙊 Making progress toward #10 on my 101 in 1001 list!
- I’ve been super active with my new Apple Watch, closing all three rings every day since January 2! I haven’t quite closed them for today yet, but I plan to!
- Our new bookshelf for the living room arrived! (A full two months after we ordered it…) I was imagining it in a different corner of the living room, but I actually like it a lot in the location we decided on.
- We’ve started a new routine of taking a full hour for lunch together and taking Stanley for a walk around the neighborhood!
- I told my boss that one of my resolutions for the year was to set better boundaries with work, including taking a full hour for lunch, only working on weekends when it’s really necessary, and being okay stretching some non-urgent deadlines if I run out of time. She was super supportive, which I really appreciated!
- I got a big batch of sheet masks in the mail and I’m really excited to use them. My skin has been freaking out this week (thanks, stress) so I’m planning to take better care of it. Plus, it’s a built-in excuse to read for 20 minutes!
- The window in the office is fixed! Fingers crossed this means it retains heat a bit better.
Follow along on Instagram at @caitlinhonard to hear about these things during the week! xo