A year ago, I shared an update on my morning routine, and at the time wanted to make it a 6-month series. And I had every intention to! But last July was a lot, so it just never happened. I’m kicking it back off in January in hopes it sticks this time around!
My routine has shifted a lot over the past year… for better or worse.
6:30 AM – Wake Up & Scroll through Instagram
Gotta be honest, right?
Our alarm currently goes off at 6:30, and after we say “Alexa, snooze” a few times (it’s dangerous how easy it is to snooze our alarm), Sean gets up to take a shower. When he does that, I spend too much time scrolling through Instagram / watching Instagram Stories.
It’s not my favorite habit in the world, but it wakes my eyes up, and I just went through and really cut down the number of people I’m following on Instagram (on Wednesday I went form 903 accounts to 349 accounts!) so my scrolling time is at least a little more streamlined to content I actually want to consume.
7 AM – Make Coffee & Put Together Sean’s Lunch
By the time Sean is out of the shower, I head downstairs to make coffee for both of us and put his lunch together so he can grab both on his way out the door.
7:15 AM – Around-the-House Tasks
As Sean finishes getting ready / after he leaves for work, I have a list of household tasks that I like to get done each morning:
- Deal with the dishes (put dirty dishes in the dishwasher / run the dishwasher if it’s full / unload the dishwasher if it ran overnight)
- Refill the animals’ water bowl
- Get Stanley some food
- Clean off my dresser of clothes that I piled there the day before (it’s my Clothing Chair)
- Spray the shower with a daily cleaning spray
- Shovel & salt the sidewalk if it snowed overnight
- Brush my teeth and wash my face
I love getting these tasks done first thing—it sets me up for success the rest of the day. If the rest of my day goes downhill, I can cut myself some slack knowing I’ve at least accomplished these things.
8 AM – Hair & Make-Up -OR- Read
The final task on my morning routine depends on if I have meetings that day. Most of my meetings are video conferences, so I make sure to do my hair and make-up as often as possible.
That being said, if I have no meetings that day, I typically skip my hair and make-up (my hair and face thank me for the break!) and spend the final 30 minutes reading.
8:30 AM – Begin Working
Then I log into my work computer and get to work!
My Ideal Morning Routine
Okay, so. My current morning routine isn’t awful by any means… after all, it involves coffee, cleaning the house, personal hygiene, and reading. But I definitely think there’s room for improvement! That’s actually one of the things I put on my Passion Planner Roadmap—create morning and evening routines.
So, what would my ideal morning routine look like?
- 6:30 AM: Wake up with my alarm
- 6:31 AM: Get dressed in exercise gear and do my squat challenge / a 7-min workout / yoga
- 6:45 AM: Let the dog out, make coffee, grab Sean’s lunch out of the fridge (because one of us put it together the night before), do household tasks
- 7:00 AM: Talk with Sean while he gets ready, listen to the news, drink my coffee, wash my face, brush my teeth
- 7:30 AM: Do my hair and make-up
- 8:00 AM: Read for 30 minutes before work
So, all in all it’s not terribly different—I’m just replacing snoozing / Instagram scrolling with working out, and with the extra time I’m able to both do my hair and make-up AND read, every morning.
I think this is totally doable! Now I need to figure out how to make it actually happen…
There you have it! My morning routine for now. Hopefully during my next check-in in July it looks closer to my ideal morning routine.
Leave a Reply