A few weeks back, Carly from The College Prepster shared a post I really liked called What I Know to Be True.
The idea is to do these posts regularly so you can see how your truth has changed over time.
I’ve decided to take up this idea on And Possibly Dinosaurs. I don’t know how often I will do these, but I think it will be a fun little experiment.
Here’s what I know to be true.
- Nobody knows everything. In fact, I know very little. But that’s okay! You just need to know about your field of interest. It’s about the depth of knowledge, not necessarily the breadth.
- I focus too much on the future. But to be honest, I feel like we all do. It’s always about “what’s next” and not enough about enjoying the present.
- I used to be a drama queen. And I still am. But not nearly to the extent I used to be. I loved hearing about other people’s drama, and I would try to put myself into it. Now? Get that drama away from me, or so help me. At least, that’s how I am most of the time.
- There is a difference between busy and productive. Just because I know this one to be true doesn’t mean I’m good at remembering it. I glorify busy, and I’m not productive nearly as often as I should be.
- I am a cat person. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs, and I love Stanley. But woah, raising a puppy is making me miss the days when it was just Val. Cats are so much easier than dogs. And I’m a bit lazy, so I like easy.
- I have a medical illness. Specifically, I have anxiety. But my anxiety doesn’t define me. I am aware of my mental illness and make decisions based on how it affects me. But I don’t let it control me.
- I’ve got it pretty good. I’ve got an awesome boyfriend, a full-time job in the field I studied in college, and enough money to pay rent, buy food, etc. and not have to live paycheck to paycheck. That’s pretty great.
- The Red Wings are the best hockey team. I mean, obviously.
- You don’t have to be friends with everyone. Not everyone wants to be friends with me, and I don’t want to be friends with everyone. And that’s alright. There are so many people in the world, and we all have such diverse interests. It’s fascinating. We should celebrate our differences. But maybe at separate parties…
- Feminism is awesome. Feminism is the crazy notion that women are people. Why are people so against it? It’s an incredibly inclusive idea. Mind you, some feminists aren’t inclusive, but no one is perfect. We’re all working to improve. We might as well work together, right?
What do you know to be true?
Angela Morales says
I like this a whoooooole bunch. It’s an incredibly positive spin on life. I need to incorporate this into my life! Thanks love.
Jenn @ Business, Life & Design says
I’m struggling with busy vs productive, also. I want to do all the things! But at some point I’m just saying yes to everything, without thinking about whether it’s worth my time and will contribute to my overall happiness. And even positive things have a limit before they become negatives just by sheer volume.